DIAMOND RARITY IS A FACTOR IN PRICE
WHAT DIAMONDS ARE RARE AND WHAT DOES IT DO TO PRICE?
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something I may earn a commission. Thanks! As an Amazon Associate I also earn from qualifying purchases.
The more rare a diamond is, the more expensive it becomes.
So what makes a diamond rare?
Most people would say size (carat weight), others say the best cut, or flawless…
But truthfully, it’s EVERYTHING!
- Big carat weights over 2 carats are rare
- Really clean diamonds (VS clarity and up) are rare
- Diamonds that are pure white are rare (absence of color; D, E, and F).
- Diamonds Z+ color, which are fancy colors (blue, red, green, yellow…) at the other end of the color spectrum are rare
- Diamonds that are cut to perfection; triple excellent diamonds, hearts and arrows, True Hearts ideal, are rare
And then, when a diamond has more than one of those traits, then it gets even more rare (like high color AND high clarity).
And to find diamonds with high grades in ALL areas, that’s ultra rare and very expensive.
Just like this particular diamond here, top-notch in all categories:
1.63 carats, Internally Flawless clarity, F color (pure white), True Hearts ideal cut (as seen here at James Allen). A truly magnificent diamond (You see that price?)
As compared to this diamond:
That diamond is average all the way around; average color G, average clarity SI1, average cut, average carat weight (.80) and even average price: 3 grand (at James Allen HERE)!
When you get into really large diamonds (2 carats, 3 carats, 4 and more), then good stones get rare regardless of their clarity or color.
(Large 2 carat diamonds at James Allen)
Big diamonds are even harder to locate that are eye-clean (because when they get big, seeing inside of them gets easier). Eye-clean is generally SI1 or higher in clarity. And to find large stones that are white (most are yellowish) is rare indeed…
Like these diamonds here:
(Large good quality diamonds at James Allen)
So rarity plays a huge factor in price
And if you think about it, all diamonds are pretty much rare to begin with. For they have to mine a ton of rock just to produce a 1.00 carat diamond. Literally 85% of all the diamonds dug out of the Earth are not used in jewelry (the quality is so bad). So that leaves only 15% for jewelers… And then, half of those diamonds are low grade; I clarity (which have eye-visible black spots, flaws, lines, cracks, clouds…)
So you see, they really are rare!
It makes you think twice about bigger stones, with better color, clarity and weight… They’re expensive…
The cost is relevant!
And when you also throw in that “diamonds are forever” (created over a billion years ago), then that price for a rare stone balances out. It is the one purchase you’ll make that WILL last you a lifetime.
Now, finding that one true love that lasts a lifetime…
Well that’s really rare!
See more rare diamonds here at James Allen.
James Allen is a leader in diamonds. Their real time interactive diamond inspection is the best in the industry. View and rotate any diamond under 20x magnification. Their prices, selection, lifetime warranty, 24/7 customer support and hassle free returns are unbeatable. Visit James Allen today.
Blue Nile is the largest and most well known respected diamond dealer online. They are highly trusted, have a huge inventory, and low low prices (compare anywhere and see for yourself). If you want to save money, or build your own ring, this is the place to shop. Visit Blue Nile today.
Leave a comment