Sapphires are a very popular gemstone choice for many people due to their beauty, durability, and symbolic meanings.
And since it is sapphire month, here are the top 10 reasons to buy sapphire:
- Beauty: Sapphires are known for their stunning beauty. With their deep blue color, they have an alluring and captivating appearance that stands out. An intense blue, that isn’t too dark, or too pale is the best choice of color hues.
- Durability: Sapphires are one of the hardest gemstones, ranking 9 on the Mohs scale of hardness (the same as ruby). This makes them highly resistant to scratches and everyday wear, ensuring their longevity.
- Symbolism: Sapphires are associated with wisdom, loyalty, and nobility. They have been cherished throughout history as a symbol of truth and sincerity, making them a meaningful gift for loved ones.
- Variety of colors: Although sapphires are commonly associated with blue, they come in a range of colors including pink, yellow, green, purple, and white (pretty much any color but red). This variety allows you to choose a sapphire that matches your personal style and preferences.
- Birthstone significance: Sapphires are the official birthstone for September, making them a popular choice for individuals born in that month. Wearing your birthstone is believed to bring good luck and positive energies.
- Versatility: Sapphires are incredibly versatile gemstones that can be used in various types of jewelry, such as rings, earrings, pendants, and bracelets. They can be worn as statement pieces or incorporated into more delicate designs. Plus, they go with everything!
- Sapphire is perfect for men and women: The greatest thing about sapphire is the fact that blue is a very commonly worn color, and a color that both men and women adore. It’s deep dark shades look awesome in men’s jewelry, giving it a masculine look. And it gives an absolutely stunning aura in women’s jewelry, especially if it’s set into white gold which makes the colors pop even more.
- Heirloom quality: Due to their durability, sapphires can be passed down through generations as family heirlooms. They retain their beauty and significance, making them a timeless treasure.
- Astrological significance: In astrology, sapphires are associated with the planet Saturn. It is believed that wearing a sapphire can bring positive effects and protect against negative energies.
- Ethical and sustainable sourcing: With growing awareness of ethical and sustainable practices in the gemstone industry, you can find sapphires that are responsibly sourced, ensuring that they are mined and processed in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. Do note that the most popular sapphires come from Burma, Sri Lanka, and Madagascar
Things to watch out for:
Just like all gemstones, there are a few things to know before you buy that September gem…
- Don’t buy sapphires that are so dark, they appear black (these are low quality and have no life or brilliance)
- Make sure you read the full description, and see if the gemstone is genuine (or natural), and not synthetic or lab-created (or lab-grown)
- Always shop and compare prices, quality, and styles. That way, you know if the price is reasonable, a deal, or over inflated
Where to buy: